LAST UPDATED: December 6th, 2023
In the cutting phase, you should reduce body fat while maintaining the lean muscle mass that was gained during the bulking phase.
You can read more about how to bulk and cut here.
Besides calorie restriction and a nutrition plan, you should try some of the best workouts to get cut.
The most important thing is not to lose muscle mass while cutting.
How to Get Cut and Retain Muscle Mass?
Before we dive into the best workouts to get cut, let’s talk about the basics.
To get lean and toned, you must follow a combination of proper nutrition and exercise. 
Here are some tips to get started with cutting:
- Focus on eating clean, whole foods that are high in protein and low in calories.
- Create a calorie deficit.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and support your body’s natural detoxification process.
- Incorporate strength training into your workout routine to build and maintain muscle mass.
- Add cardio to your workout plan to burn calories and lose excess fat.
- Don’t forget to stretch and foam roll to prevent injury and improve flexibility.
- Use the most effective natural cutting supplement Capsiplex Burn.
My List of The Best Workouts to Get Cut
Now that you know the basics, let’s talk about the best workouts to get cut.
Here are my top picks, based on my experience working with different types of clients at the gym:
Definitely, an exercise that burns fat.
The deadlift is a complex exercise that works multiple muscle groups, including the hamstrings, glutes, and back.
It’s a great way to build strength and muscle mass while burning calories.
If you are a gym rookie, before lifting heavy weights, it’s best to do other exercises for a while to get in shape and then start deadlifting to avoid injuries.
2. Dumbbell Bench Press
The dumbbell bench press is a classic exercise that targets the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
It helps to build upper body strength and improve muscle definition.
This exercise activates your chest, triceps, and delts and boosts fat-burning of upper body fat.
3. Lying Triceps Extension
The lying triceps extension is another fantastic exercise to target the triceps.
It is particularly effective at toning the back of the arms and strengthening flabby arms.
Start with lighter weight and then gradually increase the weight.
Dips are a bodyweight exercise that works the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
One of the best exercises if you want to build upper body strength and improve muscle definition.
Dips on parallel bars is an absolute favorite and it has a great effect on your triceps muscle fiber.
If you get tired of dips on parallel bars you can do dips on the bench press.
Make sure your legs are high so that you can completely engage your arms.
5. Wide Grip Pull Down
The wide-grip pull-down is an effective exercise for targeting the back muscles, including the latissimus dorsi.
The benefits are improved posture and upper body strength.
This is a simulation of the pull-ups.
Guys who can’t usually do more pull-ups per set use the lat machine since they see it as a good choice that gives them the possibility of choosing the weight.
You can do the many variations of this exercise, as well.
Your back needs to be vertical, leaning forward or backward when you do the exercise.
6. Cable Row
The cable row is an awesome way to target the back muscles, including the rhomboids and trapezius.
It helps to improve posture and build upper body strength.
Pull-ups are a challenging bodyweight exercise that works multiple muscle groups, including the back, shoulders, and arms.
This workout builds upper body strength and improves muscle definition.
Also, it is a very effective workout to burn back fat and get toned V-taper.
But, if you are a beginner then I must say that this will not be easy for you.
You should try this exercise with a resistance band, for example, that will help you lift up.
8. Barbell Curl
The barbell curl is a classic exercise that targets the biceps.
It can help you build arm strength and improve muscle definition.
Your back needs to be straight while doing this exercise so avoid sudden movements in order to lift more easily.
It’s better to reduce the weight than to risk and hurt your back.
9. Military Press (Overhead Press)
The military press is a compound exercise that works multiple muscle groups, including the shoulders, triceps, and upper back.
This exercise can help build upper body strength and improve muscle definition.
To increase lean muscles while burning fat layers you need to get up and give up the backrest and do this exercise standing.
When you do this exercise for the first time do it with lighter weights.
10. Cardio Workouts
Cardio is an important component of any workout routine, especially if you’re looking to get cut and lose weight.
One of the best types of cardio for burning fat, lean muscles, and building endurance is high-intensity interval training (HIIT).
Try doing 45 minutes of HIIT cardio 2-3 times a week to maximize your results.
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is a form of exercise that involves short, intense bursts of activity interspersed with less intense movements or periods of rest.
One of the primary advantages of HIIT is its efficiency; you can spend less time working out each week while still experiencing the benefits of fat-burning and faster metabolism.
Here’s an example of a 45-minute HIIT workout:
- Warm-up: 5 minutes of jogging or jumping jacks
- 90 seconds of high-intensity exercise (e.g., sprinting, jumping jacks, burpees)
- 30 seconds of rest
- Repeat for a total of 10 rounds (20 minutes)
- Cool down: 5 minutes of walking or slow jogging, followed by 10 minutes of stretching
11. Squat and Split Squat
Squats and split squats are great lower-body exercises that work the glutes, quads, and hamstrings.
You can build lower body strength and improve muscle definition if you do these exercises right.
Squats activate almost every muscle in the legs, but also activate the hips.
So, you will strengthen your hip, and abs, and burn love handles.
The best squat variation to lose love handles is barbell front squats.
When it comes to split squats keep your back straight, your legs together, and your arms close to your body.
Step up and squat until you form a 90-degree angle.
Go back to your starting position and then repeat the same with your other leg.
Like with squats, after a while add some weights.
12. Leg Curl
The leg curl is an effective exercise for targeting the hamstrings.
It helps to build lower body strength and improve muscle definition.
I do this exercise after the leg extension workout.
13. Leg Extension
The leg extension targets the quads.
This exercise is particularly effective at toning the front of the thighs.
The machine is easy to use, you need to sit comfortably, grab the handles on the sides, and point your toes up to the ceiling so that you affect mostly your calves and all the other leg muscles.
14. Standing Calf Raise
The standing calf raise is the best exercise for calves’ definition.
It improves lower leg strength and muscle definition.
Make sure you do the exercise properly raising your heels and then standing on your tiptoes to stretch and get your muscle fiber going.
There are many variations of calf exercises, but this is the most basic and common.
15. Abs Workouts
To get lean and toned core muscles, you need to incorporate abs workouts into your routine.
Here are some of the best abs workouts to get cut:
- Plank: This exercise works the entire core, including the abs, back, and hips. One of the best workouts for fat loss.
- Russian Twist: The Russian Twist engages the obliques, which are the muscles on the sides of your abs.
- Bicycle Crunch: Famous for targeting the rectus abdominis, the muscle that runs down the front of your abs.
- Mountain Climbers: It is a great way to increase your heart rate while targeting the abs.
Do these exercises 2-3 times a week to see results.
7-Day Cutting Workout Program
Based on the above-mentioned workouts I made a 7-day workout program to get cut:
Monday (day 1) – Chest and Triceps
- Dumbbell Bench Press – 4 sets, 8-10 reps;
- Incline bench press, 4 sets, 8 reps;
- Dips – 4 sets 8 reps;
- Lying Triceps Extension – 3 sets, 8 reps;
- Abs workouts (as mentioned above);
Tuesday (day 2) – Cardio and Abs
- 45-minute HIIT workout and abs workout;
Wednesday (day 3) – Legs and Lower Body
- Deadlift – 3 sets, 6-8 reps;
- Squats – 4 sets, 8 reps;
- Split Squats – 4 sets, 8 reps;
- Leg Curl – 3 sets, 6-8 reps;
- Leg Extension – 3 sets, 6-8 reps
- Standing Calf Raise – 4 sets, 12 reps;
Thursday (day 4) – Cardio and Abs
- 45-minute HIIT workout and abs workout;
Friday (day 5) – Back, Shoulders, and Biceps
- Wide Grip Pull Down – 4 sets, 8 reps;
- Cable Row – 4 sets, 8 reps;
- Pull-ups 4 sets, 6-8 reps;
- Barbell Curl – 3 sets, 8 reps;
- Military Press – 4 sets, 8 reps;
Saturday (day 6) – Cardio and Abs
- 45-minute HIIT workout and abs workouts;
Sunday (day 7)
- Rest day;
Remember to warm up properly before each workout and cool down afterward, and adjust the workouts to your fitness level.
Also, make sure to eat a healthy and balanced diet to fuel your workouts and support your weight loss goals.
This cutting workout plan can help you get started on your journey to getting cut, but be sure to consult with a fitness professional if you have any questions or concerns.
Supplement For Cutting
If you want to get faster results you can take natural supplements for cutting.
If you want to get maximum benefits from this workout program, I suggest you read more about the best natural supplement to get shredded.
This is the supplement I am using in my cutting phase.
I am talking about the supplement called Capsiplex Burn.
The most important thing about this supplement is that it will help you burn excess fat, get definition, and retain muscle mass.
How Does It Work?
The mix of natural ingredients will boost your energy, metabolism, blood flow, and protein synthesis, and recover after a workout.
Also, you will increase lean muscle and prevent muscle loss while losing fat.
- Capsiplex – a thermogenic fat-burning mixture
- Innoslim – boosts hormones important for fat burning
- Caffeine – helps boost energy, increase alertness, and improve mental focus.
- B vitamins – play a key role in energy metabolism.
- Iodine – is important for metabolism and protein synthesis.
- Chromium – it converts fat into energy for an explosive workout.
- Tyrosine –an amino acid important for focus, motivation, and faster metabolism.
- Arginine – another amino acid that increases the protein synthesis
- Black Pepper – helps all the above-mentioned ingredients to be absorbed well
How to Take It?
Take 3 capsules with a glass of water.
The best time to take this supplement is 30-45 minutes before a workout.
Personally, I am taking it 45 minutes before warming up at the gym.
You should take Burn on your rest day too, just take it before breakfast.
You can read more about this supplement here.
My name is Cliff and I am a personal coach, sports lover, fitness enthusiast and author of MusclesMagician. I have 15+ years of experience in fitness and bodybuilding and I want to share it with you. I am here to help you build muscles and lose fat faster.