When people start working out at the gym, they usually don’t know how to combine exercises to reach their goals.
And there are different exercises to combine depending on your goal (someone wants to lose weight; someone wants to gain muscles).
Today I am gonna show you how to combine exercises depending on your goal. (1)
The 2 most common goals for gym-goers are:
- Muscle mass and strength
- Weight loss
So, let’s start.
Best Workout Programs Depending On Your Goals
Workout program for muscle mass and strength
The training plan for muscle mass is usually made for a period of 6-8 weeks, and it depends on how fast your muscles and body are going to adapt to the changes.
It is usually based on basic exercises and the emphasis is on them, in combination with isolation exercises.
In addition, this workout program includes exercising with large weights, 3-5 sets, 8-12 reps.
Exercises for larger muscle groups such as the squat, bench press, include 3-4 sets, and smaller muscle groups such as biceps, triceps, calves, core 2-3 sets, 8-10 reps.
Here you can see an example of the workout program for muscle mass and strength:
Monday: Bench and triceps
- Bench press – 4 sets, 10-12 reps
- Incline bench press- 4 sets, 10-12 reps;
- Dumbbell chest fly 3 sets, 12 reps;
- Barbell triceps extension 4 sets, 10 reps;
- Triceps cable pushdown, 4 sets 12 reps
Tuesday: Leg day
- Squats – 4 sets 10 reps;
- Bulgarian squat-3 sets 10 reps;
- Leg press-4 sets and 10 reps
- Lying leg curls-4 sets and 12 reps;
- Leg extension-3 sets 10 reps
Wednesday: Rest day
- Deadlift-4 sets 5 reps;
- Wide grip pull-down- 4 sets 12 reps
- Seated cable row- 3 sets 12 reps
- One-arm dumbbell row – 3 sets 10 reps
- Pull-ups –As many as you can in 2 sets
Friday: Shoulder and biceps
- Military press-4 sets 10 reps
- Side lateral raise-3 sets 15 reps
- Seated bent-over rear delt raise-3 sets 12 reps
- Upright barbell row-3 sets 15 reps
- EZ barbell curl-4 sets 10 reps
- Concentration curls-3 sets 12 reps.
- Incline dumbbell curl-3 sets 10 reps
Note: Don’t do exercises for 2 big muscle groups on the same day. You can read more about how to combine muscle groups when you are working out here.
What do you need to know?
Mass and strength training should be based on specific exercises that will make each muscle fiber break and multiply.
When working on weight and strength, always choose basic exercises such as the deadlift, bench press, and squats.
These exercises activate the largest muscle groups and make big and strong muscles.
Mass and strength training should be explosive and intense.
If you want to increase muscle mass eat regularly and sleep at least 8 hours.
Create a nutrition plan that will give you enough energy.
You can also use supplements to build mass and strength.
You can read more about the best natural supplements for muscle mass here.
Also, you can download my free eBook – 7 days power hypertrophy program here.
Workout program for weight loss
Many think that they should only do cardio to get rid of fat.
But, a combination of cardio and weightlifting gives much better results.
So, let’s see the best exercise combinations for weight loss:
- Squats, 2 sets 15 reps
- Split squat, 2 sets 8 reps
- Lying leg curls, 3 sets 8 reps
- Leg extension, 3 sets 8 reps
- Standing calf raises, 3 sets 12 reps
You should rest 60 seconds between sets and exercises.
Don’t forget to warm up 5 mins before your workout.
Try to use a jump rope, treadmill, stationary cycling for warming up.
Tuesday – Cardio workout
I suggest cycling, outside.
You should cycle for 40 minutes.
If you like jogging you can do that instead.
- Push-ups, 2 sets 12 reps
- Bench press
- Triceps cable pushdown, 4 sets 12 reps
- Side lateral raise
- EZ barbell curl, 4 sets 10 reps
You should do exercises for your upper body that activate your chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, cores.
You should rest 60 secs between sets and between exercises.
Running outside or on a treadmill.
You should work out for 40 minutes.
Change the pace during the workout.
Saturday: Core exercises + pull-ups
- Plank 30 sec, later 1 min
- Ab wheel exercise.
- Do pull-ups.
- Walk for one hour.
Should you use weight loss supplements?
You can speed up the weight loss process with some of the best natural supplements. You can read my list of the best diet pills here.
Furthermore, you can download my free detailed weight loss workout plan you can combine with supplements. Just click here.
My name is Cliff and I am a personal coach, sports lover, fitness enthusiast and author of MusclesMagician. I have 15+ years of experience in fitness and bodybuilding and I want to share it with you. I am here to help you build muscles and lose fat faster.